Those that know me outside of the interwebs would have noticed a big shift in my life and my new outlook, they may have also noticed that Im quiet literally half the person I used to me. So with fitness and excercise sort of being a major priority in my life, these tips couldnt have come at a better time – Just because its the holidays, there is no excuse.
TIPS ON HOW TO TAKE YOUR EXERCISE ON HOLIDAY WITH YOU
It may be the holidays, but it also means your kids are at home or on holiday with you, which makes going for a run or to the gym a little tricky. Here are some nifty tips to make sure your exercise routine doesn’t go on holiday too.
1. Stationary cardio – use your holiday location creatively and involve the kids by finding steps or hills which you can use for hill sprints and step-ups and stair climbing. Jumping jacks can be done in hotel rooms if you want to crank it up between body weight or theraband sets. The kids will love this type of activity.
2. Go for a swim – do laps in the hotel pool, while the kids potter around in the shallow end.
3. Consider choosing your destination based on what the hotels have to offer – some resorts offer yoga classes on the beach, volleyball games, have on-site gyms or other nearby facilities like golf and hiking routes which are great for cross-training. Make sure they have baby-sitters or kids holiday programmes to give you a break.
4. Use your holiday time to try something different and get out of a fitness rut. Try to enjoy the outdoors and keep it social if you can – include friends and family with team games like soccer or cricket.
5. Build sandcastles – digging is hard work! – Remember that if you train outdoors in the summer, you need to hydrate well, wear a hat and plaster on the sunscreen. Try not to train in the hottest part of the day. And of course, make sure it’s fun.
Tips are provided by Genevieve van der Vyver, Adventure Boot Camp franchise owner at Sandton, Jhb. For more information about Adventure Boot Camp and to register for their recently launched summer camps please go to www.AdventureBootCamp.co.za or call the head office on 021 447 27 46.